A couple weeks ago, I inquired about a Lensbaby Composer + Tilt Transformer for the Sony NEX system and was told that they would no longer be making it. This was a huge bummer seeing as the NEX system doesn’t exactly have a lot of available lenses at the moment. Well I’m happy to find out today that the reason for this is because Lensbaby just came out with a brand new lens system for all mirrorless system cameras. Their new lens is called the Composer Pro and is available for Sony NEX, Micro Four Thirds, and Samsung NX systems.
The new Composer Pro improves upon the old design with a refined design and metal construction. It also allows you to use Lensbaby’s Opic Swap System which the old lens could not use before. Retail pricing for the Composer Pro starts at $300 and you can pick it up on their website here. For more information, check out the full press release below.
Now the Composer Pro delivers ultra-smooth creative control for photographers with Micro 4/3rds, Sony Î± NEX and Samsung NX cameras tooPortland, OR â€“ April 2, 2012 – Lensbaby announces its popular SLR creative effects camera lens, the Composer Pro, is now also available for Micro 4/3rds cameras (including Panasonic Lumixâ„¢ G Micro System and Olympus PENÂ®), SonyÂ® Î± NEX, and Samsung NX cameras. The Composer Pro for mirrorless cameras is compatible with the Lensbaby Optic SwapÂ® System and ships with the Double Glass Optic installed.The Composer Pro, launched in March 2011, refined and enhanced the popular and award winning Lensbaby ComposerÂ® by upgrading the swivel ball and focus mechanism to provide professional performance. Â The Composer Proâ€™s metal swivel ball design and refined focus mechanism deliver ultra-smooth focus and tilt control. Â The updated focus mechanism features a fluid and accurate dampened focus ring comparable to the focus mechanisms of the highest quality professional manual focus lenses. Â This smooth, fluid operation makes the Composer Pro the perfect choice for discerning professional photographers and videographers who want to create ground-breaking creative imagery â€“ and now they can do so with their mirrorless cameras as well.The Double Glass Optic, a 50mm f/2 selective focus optic, creates a Sweet Spot of sharp focus that photographers can move around the photo by tilting the Composer Proâ€™s swiveling lens body. Â The Composer Pro is compatible with the complete range of creative optics in the Lensbaby Optic Swap System including the Edge 80, Sweet 35, Fisheye, Soft Focus, Pinhole/Zone plate, Single Glass, and Plastic. Â Each optic can be swapped into the Composer Pro to deliver a different creative effect.The Composer Pro for mirrorless cameras joins Lensbabyâ€™s growing family of lenses, which now includes the Composer Pro for SLR cameras, Composer, Scout, Muse, and Control Freak.“Weâ€™re excited to give mirrorless camera shooters full access to the Lensbaby Creative Effects system. With so many photographers opting for these smaller cameras for on-the-go shooting situations, our one lens with so many creative effect options will make a great addition to their set-up,” said Craig Strong, Lensbaby Co-Founder and Chief Creative Officer.
Composer Pro for Mirrorless Cameras Specs:Â
- Refined metal ball design delivers ultra-smooth focus and tilt control
- Ships with the Double Glass Optic installed
- Compatible with the Lensbaby Optic Swap System
- Focus Type: Manual
- Size/Weight: 2.25â€ (5.71cm) high x 2.5â€ (6.35cm) wide / 4 oz (113.4g)
- Tilt range of up to +/- 17.5 degreesDouble Glass Optic Product Specs:
- Focal Length: 50mm
- Low dispersion, high refractive index, multi-coated optical glass doublet
- Aperture Type: Interchangeable, magnetic aperture disks
- Apertures: f/2, f/2.8, f/4, f/5.6, f/8, f/11, f/16, f/22
- Selective focus optic (creates a sweet spot of focus surrounded by gradual blur)
- Focus distance when used with Composer Pro: 18â€ to infinity
- 37mm front threads accept all Lensbaby accessory lensesComposer Pro for mirrorless cameras is available now from Lensbaby-authorized photo specialty stores worldwide and from lensbaby.com. Composer Pro for mirrorless cameras retails for $300 MSRP.About LensbabyLensbaby is a Portland, Oregon based manufacturer of award-winning Creative Effects SLR camera lenses. Â Lensbaby was launched in February 2004 by Craig Strong, a professional photographer and the inventor of the patented Lensbaby Creative Effects SLR lens system. Â Lensbaby sells to photographers all over the world through its website, www.lensbaby.com, by calling 877-536-7222 / 971-223-5662, at tradeshows, in leading photo retailers and through a growing global network of international distributors.