I had a feeling there was a new Kindle coming out when people started reporting that the Kindle was Out of Stock on their online store. The latest generation Kindle packs with it many improvements that we saw in the latest generation Kindle DX which was just released a few weeks ago.
The biggest visual change we see is the new graphite color that will join the original white. The screen size is the same but the casing is 21% smaller and lighter. The screen is also brand new with 50% better contrast.
There is also 1 new addition to the Kindle family. There is now a entry level Wi-Fi only edition of the 6â€³ Kindle priced at only $139.00. That is very cheap for an eBook reader that pretty much undercuts anything else on the market right now.
The new Kindle is scheduled to ship out August 27th so if you are in the market for a new Kindle, I would hold off a month and get the new version based on the number of improvements the latest Kindle will have.
List of Features:
- All-New, High-Contrast E-Ink Screen â€“ 50% better contrast than any other e-reader
- Read in Bright Sunlight â€“ No glare
- New and Improved Fonts â€“ New crisper, darker fonts
- New Sleek Design â€“ 21% smaller body while keeping the same 6â€³ size reading area
- 17% Lighter â€“ Only 8.5 ounces, weighs less than a paperback
- Battery Life of Up to One Month â€“ A single charge lasts up to one month with wireless off
- Double the Storage â€“ Up to 3,500 Books
- Built-In Wi-Fi â€“ Shop and download books in less than 60 seconds
- 20% Faster Page Turns â€“ Seamless reading
- Enhanced PDF Reader â€“ With dictionary lookup, notes, and highlights
- New WebKit-Based Browser â€“ Browse the web over Wi-Fi (experimental)
You can currently pre-order the Kindle right now at Amazonâ€™s Kindle Store and it will include free 2-day shipping when the Kindle is released. You can pick up the 6â€³ Wi-Fi only model here for $139.00 or the 6â€³ 3G + Wi-Fi model here for $189.00.