[Written By External Partner]
Proxy servers seem to be hugely important as they work as intermediary servers that retrieve data from several internet sources, like a webpage, and they do this on behalf of users. So, a proxy server work as an extra data security boundary that shields users from hazardous or illegal activities that go on online. A proxy server performs various functions based on its type and configuration. And some common uses comprise enabling anonymous internet browsing, regulating web requests, and bypassing geo-blocking. Proxies are similar to devices that remain linked to the internet as they are found with some associated cyber security risks, and every user should consider various factors before he uses them.
Kinds of proxy servers
You will come across various kinds of proxy servers, and they are classed based on the level of anonymity, traffic flow, services, applications, accessibility, and IPs. Some popular kinds of proxy servers are:
Protocol proxy server – Protocol proxy servers encompass several proxy servers like:
- HTTP proxy server – A HTTP proxy utilizes the HTTP protocol, and a user does not configure it. These proxies work with web content and can’t be utilized for other types of data.
- SOCKS proxy server – These proxies permit all kinds of traffic that seem to be compatible with the protocol of SOCKS5. SOCKS proxies are devoid of their encryption, and they operate via secured connections only if the application or website they work with utilizes encryption.
- HTTPS proxy server – These proxies are also known as SSL proxies, and they work as the HTTP proxy, but the former establishes secure connections.
- DNS proxy server – The job of the DNS proxies is to forward DNS requests from users to DNS servers. When users put in a domain name, then DNS chooses the server that completes the request of the user.
- Forward proxy server – These proxy servers are also called proxies, and they commonly transport requests from a user to the internet through a firewall. A forward proxy is configured uniquely so that it can deny or allow the requests of a user.
- Reverse proxy server – Reverse proxy servers are assigned to pass requests to users from the internet in an effective internal network through a firewall. These proxies are configured for monitoring and restricting the access of users to web servers that contain sensitive data.
- Anonymous proxy servers – Anonymous proxy servers are classed into three major types:
- High anonymity server – These proxies propose the highest security to users, and their job entails hiding the IP address of a user.
- Anonymous proxy server – These proxies hide the real IP address of a user when he visits a website. An anonymous proxy server works to hide the geographical location of users and accesses sites that remain censored in their actual location.
- Transparent proxy server – These proxy servers never conceal a user’s identifying information. And these servers can be easily set up.
- Access proxy server – Some types of access proxy servers are:
- Private proxy server – These proxy servers provide individual user access to provided IP addresses.
- Public proxy server – Every internet user can use these proxies without incurring any money.
People buy proxy for several reasons. The chief thing is they find lots of proxy servers from which they can take their pick. But to make a smart choice, they need to know everything about proxies and recognize the ones they should avoid.