Sony only just recently released the Xperia 1 II and like the previous generation, it is being followed by an Xperia 5 II (Mark 2). What makes the Xperia 5 II different from the Xperia 1 II is the size. This is considered a compact smartphone by today’s standards with a smaller 6.1″ display. Bigger isn’t always better and the specs on this new Xperia 5 II make a strong case for the smaller form factor.
Xperia 5 II leverages many of the leading features from the Xperia 1 II. Somehow they were able to squeeze a lot of the same features from the larger Xperia 1 II into the smaller Xperia 5 II. This includes the triple lens camera with ZEISS optics, Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 processor, 3.5mm audio jack, front-facing speakers, and a 4000mAh battery. And despite its smaller size, Sony was still able to make some improvements over its larger brother.
For instance, the Xperia 5 II also has a FHD+ HDR OLED display, but has a refresh rate of 120hz with 240Hz Motion blur reduction. This is higher than the Xperia 1 II. The Xperia 5 II can also record video at 4K HDR at 120fps slow-motion.
While the Xperia 1 II was only targeting photo and video creators, the Xperia 5 II casts a wider net and will also appeal to gamers, people who consume audio and visual media, and those who create.
- Award-winning camera technologies from Alpha brand series cameras, including Real-time Eye AF and up to 20 fps burst shooting with continuous autofocus that performs AF / AE calculations at 60 times per second.
- World’s first 4K HDR 120fps slow-motion movie recording in a smartphone can capture and play back up to 5x slow-motion when recorded at 24fps, further expanding the possibilities of cinematic expression.
- Immersive 21:9 CinemaWide™ 6.1” FHD+ HDR OLED display delivers unprecedented color accuracy with Creator mode “powered by CineAlta” technology.
- Built for gaming with a 120Hz Refresh rate6 display and 240Hz Motion blur reduction for smooth action, plus 240Hz touch scanning rate and touch response improvements by 356 percent when compared to the previous model for quick and accurate gaming control.
- Next-Generation processing power with Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 865, and high capacity 4,000mAh battery with fast charging for optimal speed and performance.
- The perfect size and packed with the latest innovative Sony technology in a compact ergonomic design (W 2.68 in x D 0.31 in) that fits comfortably in a hand or pocket.
In the U.S., the Xperia 5 II will be available unlocked in black and comes equipped with Android 10. The Xperia 5 II will be available for pre-order for about $950 on September 29, 2020 and ships to customers on December 4, 2020.
Preorder Xperia 5 II by November 29, 2020 and receive a gaming bundle worth over $400 including a gaming headset, a 10,000mAh power bank and 21,600 Call of Duty Mobile Points at direct.sony.com/xperia or other participating Sony authorized retailers. Xperia 5 II will be compatible with Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Cricket networks.