If you’re ready to upgrade from your measly little point and shoot, there are actually a few different options you can consider. You can go all out and get yourself a DSLR, you can get one of those new mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras, or you can get one of these ultra zoom cameras that are slotted between point-and-shoots andÂ interchangeableÂ lens cameras.
Sony has one such camera with the new Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V. It is a bit smaller than a DSLR but has tons of pro features you’ll really enjoy. The DSX-HX200V features an 18MP “Exmor R” CMOS sensor paired up with a 27,, Carl Zeiss Sonnar T lens with 30x optical zoom. It also features full HD Movie recording as well asÂ simultaneousÂ still image shooting while recording. It feels very DSLR-ish in your hands and even features a manual focusing ring. Unlike a DSLR however, you can not swap out the lens but you also never need to worry about cleaning the sensor or exposing it to dust. The Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V even features GPS geo-tagging.
You get many of the same features as Sony’s more expensive NEX-5N camera including super fast AF and very good low-light results but at a much lower price.
- 18 MP â€œExmor Râ€ CMOS sensor
- 27-810mm equivalent Carl Zeissâ„¢ Vaio Sonnar T lens with 30x optical zoom, 60x virtual zoom via â€œClear Image Zoomâ€ technology
- â€œExtra High Sensitivityâ€ technology enhances low-light shooting capabilities
- Lightning-fast AF speed of approximately 0.1 second in daylight, 0.2 seconds in low-light
- 3-inch tilting LCD display with 921,600 pixels, plus a 0.2″ electronic viewfinder with 201,600 pixelsÂ
- Captures 13.5 MP still images while shooting video via â€œDual-Recordâ€
- Full HD Movie Shooting capability (1920×1080/60p) and three-way Optical image stabilization with â€œActive Modeâ€
- Photo Creativity interface and 9 â€œPicture Effectâ€ options for creating unique, custom-styled photos and video
- Manual Focus ring for adjusting focus accordingly
- GPS geo-tagging functionality
The Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V will be availableÂ this March in black for approximately $480.